RTD/ Research Partners in H2020 Proposals
SOLEARTH (ARCHITECTURE) LTD – YOUR HORIZON 2020 PARTNER
PIC; Solearth Ltd; 952478406
LEAR; Brian O Brien
Category: SME or RTD
PROGRAMMES OF INTEREST
Energy Efficient Buildings, NMP, Energy and ENV;
Others Concerning Building Demonstrations/ Testbed Installations
Sustainability and Low Energy Building solutions
Solearth are professional architects with a difference. For over 15 years we have dedicated our practice to becoming experts in sustainable design at a deep and rigorous level. We base our designs on science and are recognised for having created Ireland's most noted low energy and sustainable buildings and communities. We work with some of Europe's most knowledgeable consultants and researchers.
Solearth have the following capacity;
- Aesthetic impacts and improvements of novel building components to improve acceptance and uptake
- Understanding and interpreting of ecological and sustainable innovations in products, process and building components
- Design of project proposal and structuring of application (benefitting from our evaluator experience)
- Professional Sustainable Architecture (of new, existing and historic buildings)
- Performance Simulation and Modelling
- Research and Methodology Development.
- Communication Design and Dissemination.
- Structuring of Pilot and Demo sites Installation (Permits consents, planning co-ordination).
- Languages: English Native, German, Spanish and French - various staff members
Our architects, designers and researchers work at both a theoretical and practical level, refining design and technical concepts and models and implementing them in real projects and built buildings. We use modeling and simulation software to optimise solutions and stay at the cutting edge of international best practice. We are connected to Dublin Institute of Technology / Dublin School of Architecture as lecturers and researchers and can draw in researchers and academics as well as other energy and building physics consultants as required.
The role of an architect is to lead projects where a team of collaborators (consultants, contractors, regulators etc.) are involved in realising a unique building over a 2-3 year period. Architects have much experience in driving these collaborations, ensuring obstacles ore overcome, budgets and regulations are complied with and excellence is achieved. These skills can also be of major benefit on H2020 projects where large teams of experts speaking different languages, and having different skills and interests must work together to achieve the project outcomes.
FP / H2020 EXPERIENCE
Solearth are currently involved in 3 FP7/H2020 projects and have just completed another. Of these, two are under the Research for the Benefit of SMEs programme where we operate as SME partner, and administrator plus RTD partner respectively, and one related to building integration of wind generators on which we are RTD partners is under the ENERGY programme. The other concerns large area electronics. Previously Brian O Brien, partner at Solearth, has worked on FP5 projects while in other organisations and has been an evaluator in Brussels on EEB calls. He co-wrote Solearth's recent DA project proposal which was approved and is now in process.
Interpretation of innovations
Championing of end user needs among researchers
Aesthetics Improvements (Of Novel Materials and Components)
Design and Planning;
Technical Solution Appraisal
Visioning and Presentation
• Performance Simulation and Modelling
• Historical and Design Research;
Prior and State of the Art.
Methodology; Methodology Development
Evaluation and Prioritisation of Solution Possibilities,
• Decision Support System Development
• Communication Design
• Website: Structure and Content,
Dissemination and Public Participation.
• Construction and Demonstration
Permits, Tendering and Bids, Construction /Contract Administration
WHY INCLUDE SOLEARTH IN YOUR CONSORTIUM ?
- Solearth bring a wealth of experience in innovative design and construction of sustainable buildings (new build and renovation), research, simulation of building performance and methodology preparation.
- As designers of ecological buildings we can contribute to scientific research and add value by contextualising and interpreting it, moving between the specific and the general, scientist and end user.
- As architects, we are constantly called upon to evaluate and prioritise innovation, and risk from a practical use (and end user's) point of view - to speak the users' language.
- Solearth are located in Ireland (and are native English speakers).
- Solearth know what end users of buildings (and their many component parts) want and expect
Solearth enjoys an excellent reputation and are already registered and validated in the H2020 system (PICT above).
Brian O Brien
Brian is a regular speaker at conferences on sustainability in the built environment in Ireland and abroad. He has won awards for his buildings, teaching and championing of green design, and recently received a prestigious Hero of Living Buildings Award from the Living Futures Institute in the USA.
He has published many papers on architecture and green design in Ireland and the UK. He lectures in the Dublin School of Architecture, Dublin Institute of Technology and has been a guest lecturer at University of Bath, University College Dublin, Technische Hochschule Aachen and University of West of England. Along with the Energy Research Group UCD, he has for many years been a lecturer in the professional CPD programme for architects on sustainability and served on the RIAI's Sustainability Task Force. His research has included applications of round-wood structure at Rehan Electronics and Hooke Park, development of theory on Slow Architecture and Building Health (bau-biologie),.
Mike is a fluent German Speaker.